Only two percent of the 70 million Deaf worldwide have been introduced to Jesus.* Many of these least-reached people are separated from the larger Hearing society around them, and as a result have even fewer opportunities to learn of the good news. Often, they don’t have access to the educational opportunities and job prospects available to the Hearing, and lack equal rights. In some cultures, being deaf is seen as a curse, and members of the Deaf community are neglected by and isolated from those who can hear.
Simply bringing the gospel to these places isn’t enough. Even if a Deaf person lives in a community with many churches, a significant number of Christians and access to printed Scripture, he or she is unlikely to be reached with the gospel. Because Deaf communities have distinct languages, cultures and worldviews, to effectively reach them we need to send followers of Christ who can be accepted in Deaf society, respect their unique gifts and challenges and communicate the good news in their sign languages.
Christar is seeking to reach the Deaf with the hope of the gospel! We desire to plant churches among the Deaf who are living amid populations of Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists for the same reason we serve among Hearing peoples: God has promised there will be people from every nation, tribe, people and language (including sign languages) worshiping around the throne of God. We align ourselves with the promise that salvation in Christ is not just for the Hearing, but for the Deaf as well.
Through the Deaf Initiative, Christar is seeking to expand its church-planting efforts to include reaching the Deaf with the good news. Your gift will help us identify and train new workers to serve among the Deaf and help us launch this new outreach to these hidden least-reached people.
Pray for the Deaf Initiative Project:
- Ask God to raise up workers with a passion to reach the Deaf and the ability to enter least-reached communities.
- Pray that believers in Deaf churches will have a burden for Deaf communities around the world.
- Ask God to enable Christar to effectively collaborate with other organizations ministering among the Deaf.
- Pray for open doors for ministry in Deaf communities.
- Pray for wisdom as Christar seeks to effectively bring the gospel to Deaf communities.
- Ask God to provide the funds needed to launch this critical new outreach.
*Statistics from Deaf Bible Society