Least-reached people aren’t just far-off populations on the other side of the globe. They’re also our neighbors! According to the Joshua Project, over 12 million people in North America don’t have access to a church that preaches the gospel in their language and in a culturally relevant way.
But in His goodness, God has brought these people to communities where believers can freely share the gospel! He’s at work in our cities and towns, and we can be part of what He’s doing as we serve and pray.
When was the last time you prayed for your least-reached neighbors? Try lifting them up in the following ways.
1. Praise God for bringing least-reached people to places where they can hear the gospel. Thank Him for using the movement of people to enable many to hear the good news for the first time.
2. Pray for open hearts. Ask God to prepare the hearts of those who hear the gospel and give them a desire to know the hope Christ offers for themselves.
3. Ask God to call more local believers to minister. Many of the least-reached people in our neighborhoods live within a few blocks of a church. But many remain unreached with the gospel because no one has shared it with them in a way that’s relevant in context of their cultural worldview. Pray that God will raise up more Christians in your community to intentionally reach out to people who may have never heard the good news.
4. Pray for cultural understanding. Lift up believers ministering to least-reached people in your neighborhood, asking God to give them sensitivity to cultural differences and wisdom in presenting the gospel in relevant ways. (And pray the same thing for yourself!)
5. Pray for courage for those considering Christ. Many least-reached people, even those who live in the West, face immense pressure not to become followers of Jesus. Their family and friends may view conversion to Christianity as a betrayal or abandonment of their culture. Ask God to give courage to those who are thinking about trusting in Christ. Pray they’ll consider following Him worth any cost!
6. Pray for specific needs. As you get to know your least-reached neighbors, lift up the things you know matter to them, such as medical issues or concerns with their children. Let them know you’re praying for these things, and be sure to give God the glory when He answers.
7. Ask God to use you. If you’re not already reaching out in your community, ask God to show you how you can minister to the least-reached in your neighborhood. Ask Him to work through you so that His love is evident as you serve, and pray for the ability to share truth in ways that are clear and compassionate.
How can I get involved?
- Get tips on reaching out to least-reached people in your neighborhood.
- Explore our resources on understanding and reaching out to least-reached Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and refugees.