Over 480 million Buddhists in more than 600 people groups worldwide need to know the transforming power of the gospel of Christ. Yet, more than four in five of them are least-reached: They don’t have access to a church that preaches the gospel and worships in a culturally relevant way.
Christar is driven by a passion to establish churches among the least-reached, those who do not have access to a church in their own language, culture or in proximity to where they live. We trust the Lord to work through us as we send teams to cultivate Christ-honoring transformation in Buddhist communities throughout the world where He is not yet known or worshiped.
A Heritage of Ministry Among Buddhists
Reaching these Buddhists with the good news of Christ has been our passion for over a century. The earliest roots of Christar reach back to 1909, when Florence Drew left for China with only a suitcase, a typewriter and a dream to share the gospel. She founded the South China Boat Mission, which established floating boat churches to bring God’s truth to coastal fishermen in Hong Kong and the surrounding area where Buddhism was practiced.
Today, Christar workers use a wide variety of skills and occupations to cultivate Christ-honoring transformation in Buddhist communities worldwide. We rejoice in the fruit God has produced through their efforts:
- Building on a foundation of decades of ministry in Hong Kong, Christar established the Hong Kong Mobilization Center to recruit, train and send believers to serve in least-reached communities. Once a place that received cross-cultural workers, Hong Kong now sends believers to minister to those who’ve never heard.
- In 1996, a Christar team in Japan began using English classes, special events and a gospel choir to build relationships and meet needs in the community. Over the next 15 years more than 30 Japanese trusted Christ. The church is now functioning independently under the leadership of a Japanese pastor.
- Christar workers in the Far East are cultivating Christ-honoring transformation through relief and development projects, as well as discipling local believers with the goal of planting a church in a least-reached community.
At Christar, our prayer is that God would bring more Buddhists to Himself, and that He would give believers around the world a desire to reach Buddhists for Christ.
How can I get involved?
- Ask God to open the hearts of Buddhists to the gospel.
- Pray for wisdom for Christar workers as they seek to share the gospel with Buddhists in culturally relevant ways.
- Ask God to call more believers to serve in Buddhist communities.
- The Christar Buddhism booklet was designed to introduce you to the origins, beliefs and practices of Buddhists, and provide a guide to sharing your faith with Buddhist friends.
- Your gift will help Christar workers bring the hope of the gospel to Buddhists and others through church planting and evangelism.