The goal of the Battered Women’s Center is to provide refuge and counsel to Middle Eastern women and their children who are victims of abuse, and to introduce nonbelievers and their families to the God of the Bible.
While planting a church in the Middle East, Christar workers saw that women in this region are often the victims of physical and sexual abuse. Women who become Christians or even express interest in the gospel are often targets of domestic violence.
In 2017, these workers opened a Battered Women’s Center to help these ladies and their children find shelter from abusive situations and learn of Christ’s deep love for them. Staff provide not only emotional and spiritual support, but also practical help specific to each woman’s situation and rooted in the hope found in Christ alone. When a woman visits the center for the first time, she receives a New Testament in her language and hears a clear, concise presentation of the gospel. She’s also offered seminars and workshops that provide training to address practical needs.
Through the Battered Women’s Center, workers can provide temporary shelter to women and children, and a 24-hour emergency line gives abuse victims a place to turn at any hour of the day or night. The center offers Bible seminars, as well as job and life skills seminars for women. In addition, it offers training for women in how to better handle and prevent abusive situations, as well as how to talk to their children about the violence they’ve witnessed.
The Battered Women’s Center is also a place where local believers can learn to use their spiritual gifts to minister to those who are hurting. Workers are discipling members of local churches and equipping them to serve in the center. This opportunity both strengthens the ministry of the local body of Christ and cultivates the use of spiritual gifts among believers to build up the Church.
The Battered Women’s Center has set several goals for its first year of ministry, including:
- Meet four to five new people every week.
- Train four volunteers from a local church to be involved in the ministry.
- Develop ongoing relationships with at least 50 women and their families.
- Regularly study the Bible with at least 10 women.
Your gift to the Battered Women’s Center will provide practical help and true hope to women and children who’ve suffered abuse.
- $850/month is needed for rent, to keep the center open and running.
- $600/month is needed to employ a local believer to minister alongside Christar workers and help clean and maintain the facility.
- $25 covers the cost of one study Bible in the local language.
Pray for the Battered Women’s Center:
- Ask God to bring hurting women who are seeking the truth to the Battered Women’s Center.
- Pray for wisdom in reaching out to women with deep emotional scars.
- Pray that least-reached women will find true hope in Christ through the ministry of the Battered Women’s Center.
- Ask God to provide the funds needed to hire a local believer to work at the center.