Christar workers can’t accomplish the work they set out to do in their own strength. They depend on God to open doors and soften hearts so that least-reached people can know and worship Him. And, they need believers who stand behind them in prayer, committing them and their ministries to the Lord! This guide provides a wealth of prompts to help you lift up cross-cultural workers in a focused, intentional way.
Pray for Worker’s Spiritual Lives
Contrary to popular belief, workers among the least-reached are not spiritual giants. They are subject to the same doubts, temptations and struggles that any other believers face. But, the challenges of the mission field may bring these issues to the forefront.
- Ask God to continually refresh and guide workers through consistent times of prayer and learning from Scripture.
- Pray that workers will have meaningful times of corporate worship and fellowship.
- Ask God to give workers the grace to resist temptation.
- Ask God to give workers victory over spiritual struggles.
- Pray that workers will remain committed to serving the Lord in spite of difficulties.
- Ask God to continually draw workers closer to Him.
Pray for Workers’ Ministries
Workers live in unfamiliar cultures so that they can present the gospel in ways that are relevant to least-reached people in those cultures. This task can be exciting and encouraging, as well as challenging and frustrating, especially when efforts to minister bear don’t bear visible fruit. Mastery of a language is a life-long pursuit, and many Christar workers invest countless hours to become fluent in some of the most difficult languages to learn. In addition, workers must work to understand the culture so that they can present the gospel in ways that are relevant and acceptable.
- Lift up workers as they learn new languages so that they can share the gospel with least-reached people.
- Ask God to give workers opportunities to build relationships with least-reached people.
- Ask God to give workers boldness and discernment in sharing the gospel.
- Pray that workers will have wisdom in the use of their time, resources and energy.
- Ask God to give workers sensitivity and the ability to communicate across cultures.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to work in the hearts of least-reached people as workers share the gospel with them.
- Pray for wisdom for workers as they develop ministries that meet specific needs in least-reached communities.
- Pray for perseverance for workers who are ministering faithfully, but have not yet seen fruit from their efforts.
Pray for Workers’ Families
Ministry begins in the family as workers model godly marriages and parenting in least-reached communities. While family members can be a great blessing and encouragement, dealing with family issues on the mission field adds an extra level of strain to already complicated issues. From finding suitable schooling for children to concerns about elderly parents, these situations can be sources of great stress and can hinder effective ministry.
- Pray that couples serving together will have strong and supportive marital relationships.
- Ask God to give workers who are parents wisdom in raising their children in least-reached cultures.
- Pray for wisdom as workers seek to meet their children’s educational needs on the field.
- Pray that workers’ parents and other family members will be supportive of them and their ministries.
- Pray for salvation for workers’ unsaved family members.
Pray for Church-Planting Teams
Christar workers don’t serve alone. A worker’s team includes fellow workers and, many times, national believers as well. Team members support and encourage one another; however, working with a team is never free of bumps in the road, especially when individuals from different cultures and diverse backgrounds minister together.
- Pray for a spirit of cooperation on every Christar church-planting team.
- Pray that members of church-planting teams will submit to and learn from one another.
- Pray that members of church-planting teams will be willing to confront one another lovingly when necessary.
- Pray that the skills and gifts of workers on church-planting teams will complement one another for the glory of God.
- Pray that conflict within church-planting teams will be resolved in ways that honor God.
- Pray that members of church-planting teams will hold one another accountable.
- Pray for mutual support and a sense of family among members of church-planting teams.
- Ask God to use church-planting teams as examples of the local body of Christ in least-reached communities.
Pray for the Communities in Which Workers Serve
Many Christar workers serve in countries where Christian workers are not welcomed and where Christians are persecuted or even martyred. Many of these least-reached areas have been scarred by years of war, domestic strife or natural disasters, and factors ranging from poverty to government regulations can make ministry a challenge.
- Pray for stability in least-reached areas that have been plagued with unrest.
- Ask God to build His church in areas that have faced persecution.
- Pray that workers will be able to obtain the visas necessary to remain in their countries of service.
- Pray for safety for workers serving in areas that are hostile to Christianity.
- Pray for wisdom for workers as they seek to encourage local believers who are facing persecution.
- Pray that workers will find favor in the eyes of local officials.
Pray for Workers’ Physical Needs
Many of the physical and practical needs of a worker are no different than your own, except that meeting them may be a bit more complicated on the mission field. Staying healthy and finding quality medical care, as well as suitable housing and transportation, can be challenging.
- Pray for worker’s physical health, asking that physical issues would not interfere with ministry.
- Ask God to give workers freedom from loneliness, depression and anxiety.
- Ask God to give workers energy and good times of rest.
- Ask God to provide housing for workers that meets their needs and is conducive to ministry.
- Ask God to provide reliable means of transportation for workers.
Pray for Workers’ Support Teams
Cultivating Christ-honoring transformation in least-reached communities is a team effort, and every Christar worker has a team of prayer and financial supporters standing behind them. Even the apostle Paul needed a support team! He built relationships with believers in many churches and often asked them to uphold him in prayer. He also frequently mentions their giving, thanking them for their generosity and emphasizing the importance of their gifts. If a worker’s support team of individuals and churches isn’t praying and giving, that worker’s ministry suffers.
- Pray that workers’ daily prayer partners will be faithful to their commitment to pray.
- Ask God to provide for workers’ financial needs through the generosity of His people.
- Ask God to provide more individuals and churches to stand behind workers through praying and giving.
- Pray for strength and energy for workers as they build and communicate with their support teams.
- Lift up the members of workers’ support teams, asking God to meet their financial needs so that they’re able to give.
- Ask God to use members of workers’ support teams to encourage workers during challenging times.