According to the World Food Programme, approximately one in nine people worldwide doesn’t have enough food to lead a healthy, active life. Millions live in areas where there are few believers and few opportunities to hear the gospel, making them not only physically hungry, but spiritually hungry as well.
What can Christians do about hunger in the least-reached places of the world? These five strategies are a good start.
- Pray for workers and local believers seeking to provide food for the hungry. Ask God to give them wisdom as they seek to meet vast and pressing needs. And pray that those who receive food from believers will hunger for the hope found in Christ alone.
- Support programs that provide access to education. Not being able to complete school is a major contributing factor to poverty and hunger in many areas of the world. By giving toward programs like a virtual high school for displaced young people, you can help prevent hunger not only for students, but for entire families.
- Get your kids involved. By helping your children catch a vision for helping the hungry, you can prevent hunger in the next generation. Try skipping a meal as a family to give your kids a taste of what it’s like to be hungry. Encourage your kids to set aside a portion of their own money to donate toward a program that provides food for the hungry.
- Provide food for refugees. Many refugees aren’t permitted to work in their host countries or aren’t able to find jobs. With no way to generate income, many quickly drain all of their resources feeding their families. And when their funds run out, they’re still left hungry. By helping to provide food for refugees, you can tangibly demonstrate God’s love.
- Help workers and local believers provide jobs. A steady income is essential to breaking a cycle of hunger. By helping Christar workers and local believers start businesses in least-reached communities, you can help end and prevent hunger.
How can I get involved?
- Pray for workers and local believers seeking to provide food for the hungry.
- Pray that those who receive food from believers will hunger for the hope found in Christ alone.
Your gift to the Middle East Relief Fund will help Christar workers partner with local believers to provide food and other aid for refugees.